Tuesday 29 December 2009

Week 15: Aachener Printen

I know I'm late again, that's due to the holidays though! I did really make my recipe on time, I just forget to post it...
Last week I made Aachener Printen. They are a typical German type of christmas cookies and they are absolutely delicious. A little bit complicated and they take a lot of time to make but they are so worth it!
You start by taking 100 grams of lemon succade and chopping it very finely. Then you need to warm up 250 grams of honey, 200 grams dark brown sugar and 50 grams of butter until all the butter have dissolved. Then you need to add one tablespoon of cinnamon, one tablespoon of ground cloves, one tablespoon of ground coriander seeds and one tablespoon of ground cardamom seeds. Mix this all in to get a syrup rich in flavour and sprinkle the succade over it. Set away to cool a bit.
When you think the syrup has cooled enough to touch you take 500 grams of flour andpur this in your bowl with the syrup and mix it all together. Let 10 grams of baking powder dissolve in two tablespoons of milk and add this too. You should get a firm though but it shouldn't be sticky, add more flour if necessary. When your dough is ready roll it in a bit of flour and set at room temperature for about 24 hours.
After the dough has set roll it out until it's about half a centimeter thick. Cut it into large rectangles and bake them slightly spaced in an oven that has been preheated at 180° for about 18 minutes.
I didn't cut mine in rectangles but I used my good old cookie shapes but that wasn't the best idea I ever had. The taste was still great but they were fairly hard. I probably could have prevented this by taking them out of the oven sooner but I didn't think about it at the time. That said, they were almost all eaten in about four days so they are definitely worth trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment