Friday 5 March 2010

Week 25: Flambéed vegetables

This week I did something I had never done before (and I had a wet towel with me at all times :p) I flambéed something! It was all quite easy actually and quite tasty too.
You start by cutting one carrot, one medium-sized zucchini and one onion in thin strips (julienne) as well as dicing three tomatoes. Sautée all the veggies in some butter for a few minutes and add 100 ml of Ricard (or another anise flavoured liquor) and then set it on fire (I shouldn't be this excited about this part). Leave it to burn out and then add 100-150 ml of vegetable stock. Leave to reduce until you have a thick sauce and season with pepper and salt. If you don't have enough sauce you can add some ketchup to compensate. In the end I added some salted capers but this was totally a spur of the moment thing.
I had this with rice and some sautéed spinach but I'm actually thinking it would be great with fish or prawns.
You have to be careful with dishes like this though, if you have an extractor hood (or whatever it's called) remember to switch it off and keep an eye on the flames all the time. We don't want any kitchens catching fire, now do we?

No comments:

Post a Comment