Wednesday 9 September 2009

Week 1: Vegetarian Cannelloni

I've decided it was time for a challenge‚ a cooking challenge. From now on I will cook 1 new recipe each week. Seeing as I love cooking this is a great plan but it will also teach me 52 new recipes in a year's time as well as some new cooking techniques I hope.
Anyway‚ I started off with vegetarian cannelloni. Nothing tricky but something I hadn't cooked before. It proved to be much easier than I had imagined. You start off by frying a diced aubergine in some oil. After about 5 minuted you add 75 grams of chopped up mushrooms and 225 grams of fresh spinach. When the spinach has shrunk down you take this off the heat and start filling the cannelloni (pre-cooked for 6 minutes in boiling salted water).
While filling you can have your tomato sauce cooking. For this you fry one onion‚ add 800 grams of canned diced tomatoes and let that all simmer for a few minutes. (I'm not quite sure why to use canned tomatoes though‚ next time I'll be using fresh tomatoes because I much prefer their taste.)
When you're finished filling your cannelloni place them in an oven dish and just pour the sauce over them. Finish off by putting some slices of mozzarella on top of the sauce and place it in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes at 190°C.
My dad and I very much enjoyed this dish. It's not heavy at all and contains a lot of yummy veggies. On top of that it's pasta which is something we both love to eat. A very good start for my cooking challenge ^^

PS: Obviously I forgot to make pictures but I will try to remember to make some next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment