Tuesday 6 October 2009

Week 5: Mac 'n'cheese

Yes that's right‚ I made a special version of mac'n'cheese today. Believe it or not another Piet Huysentruyt recipe but his cookbook really is one of my favourites. Now this recipe is for 3-4 people instead of the usual 2 because I made a bit extra so I don't have to cook tomorrow night when I come home from class.
You start by cooking 200 grams of pasta and rinsing it with cold water. Then you have to slice 250 grams of mushrooms and cut 5 slices of ham in squares. Next you melt 50 grams of butter and then add 100 grams of flour. Stir well and leave on a very low fire for 5-6 minutes. Take 400ml chicken fond and add the same amount of milk and 100 ml of cream. Add this to the roux (butter+flour) and stir well until all lumps are gone (this takes a while) and you have a nice smooth sauce. Leave this to simmer for a few minutes while you squeeze a lemon and chop up some parsley (you need about 4 tablespoons).
After 5-10 minutes of simmering you add the parsley‚ ham‚ mushrooms‚ 50 grams of grated emmentaler cheese‚ a dash of nutmeg‚ salt and pepper and lemon juice to taste. Make sure this is all well-mixed and add the pasta.
Pour all of that into an oven dish and spread some breadcrumbs over the top. Put the entire dish in the a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 10-15 minutes.

This is a great variety to a classic and I'll definitely be making this again seeing as pasta (and in particular mac'n'cheese) are favourites of both my dad and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment