Monday 8 February 2010

Religious Books: Bhagavad Gita

I finally finished reading the Bhagavad Gita! It took me about 4 months although that seems like more than it actually is seeing as I only read it on the tram on my way to school and only on the days where I could still fit the book in my bag with all my school stuff.
To be honest I'm slightly disappointed. I expected it to be a more gentle book with less harsh and strict guidelines but in the end it's just another way to justify the distinction between the socia classes (obviously in favour of the rich). The story is quite simple, God (in the form of Krishna) speaks to Arjuna on the battlefield of Kuruksetra where he is leading his troups against his own family (but they have stolen the throne from him so it's all justified apparently). Arjuna doesn't want to fight because he doesn't want to hurt his family and because he thinks it's wrong to kill (which it is in my opinion). Krishna then tells him that we should live according to the prescriptions of our class, therefore Arjuna, being a ksatriya or warrior, should fight, it his his duty. Krishna also tells him the story of birth and rebirth, aka reincarnation, and says that death is like changing clothes so Arjuna killing his family and friends is fine because they'll just get reborn anyway. Only those who always think of Him (Krishna) and meditate and do their prescribed duties will eventually reach Krishna's planet.
This is basically the base of Hinduism as it is constantly repeated throughout the book. Worship Krishna and do your prescribed duties and Krishna will love you and you well get the chance to join him on his planet.
Another constantly repeated item is that Krishna is everywhere (like literally). He is in all of us in the form of our soul (or atman). Interisting is that they define how large our soul is (one hundreth of one hundreth of the tip of a hair) but not where it is situated (although it is most likely in the stomach seeing as Krishna is apparently the stomach of the universe making everything function properly).
Basically, I think the Gita was written by a rich prince or something similar to keep the poor people from starting a riot and taking over the country. Just like with any other religion it's something to trick the minds of people into believing that 'God' gave everything they have and that they should be grateful for it, live the way they should and shut up. I'm all for being grateful for what you have but not grateful towards anyone vague up on some strange planet.
That said there is some good stuff in it too. After all, yoga is based on the hinduistic scriptures (though hardly mentioned in the Gita) and even though Krishna thinks those who perform yoga for the physical benefits are idiots I still think it's quite enjoyable and soothing. I also liked the part about reincarnation despite it being a mere attribute to justify Arjuna's war.
I could never be a true hinduist though (partially cause that would mean abstinence), in my opinion there are more interesting people and things to think of than Krishna and there are far too much goals to reach to just sit back and do my prescribed duty without the ambition to go places. But hey, I could be wrong, after all there are millions of hinduists all over the world...

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. Do you know about this edition of the Gita?

    http://www.YogaVidya.com/gita.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't.
    I am however aware that the edition I have was made by the people of Krishna Consciousness which is probably why they keep on referring back to the same basic ideas.
    I'm not planning on reading this again (sorry). I'm an agnost and I don't believe in the concept of religion. The only reason I'm reading the holy books (I will be reading the Qoran and bible too) is because I'm interested in them and because I wonder why and how they came into existence.
    That being said I respect religious people as I believe it is your right to believe in whatever you wish to and I'm extremely interested in religion. And like I said, my opinion may very well be wrong, I'm open for discussions. :)

    ReplyDelete