Monday 2 March 2009

Religion


I have this thing with religion, I don't care what you believe in, as long as you truly believe it and have thought about it, I'm fine with it. Now myself, I don't believe in any set religion, I have my own beliefs and that's my right. I won't force my ideas upon anyone else but I'll gladly discuss them with someone. But apparently I'm an exception when it comes to that and it tends to get on my nerves a lot lately.
It caught my attention today when I walked by one of the buildings where the far right BElgian party 'het Vlaams Belang' (the flemish importance/interest) is located. They now have these posters up saying 'stop islamisation, no mosque in our neighbourhood'.
Now this annoys me because as far as I know the idea of an obligatory religion (at least in Belgium) was abandoned in the nineteenth century. But that's not what annoys me the most, that honour goes to how they don't protest against Judaism or Hinduism (or even Buddhism though that isn't a religion if you ask me). They only have a problem with the Islam. Now I'm not a muslim myself nor do I have any muslim friends so it doesn't affect me personally but it just ticks me off. I just don't get what everyone's problem with the Islam is. I get that there are terrorists and I get that they killed a lot of people, but that's exactly what the crusaders did years ago. I always wonder if people who say such things ever think the other way round, if we go to Turkey or Morocco or I don't know where (a free religion country ofc) don't we just continue following our own religion? Just look at the churches everywhere..
Again, I don't mind anyone believing in a certain religion and I don't mean to pick on the christians but I seriously think we should all be a bit more tolerant. I realise not many people really care about others anymore because society has evolved to a point where egoism is the standard but that doesn't mean it's a good one.
I think I'll leave it with that, I hope I didn't offend anyone cause I don't mean to but I just had to get this out...

Best wishes

Tessa

No comments:

Post a Comment